China confirms first Zika case from man who traveled to Venezuela

Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are seen inside the International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) insect pest control laboratory in Seibersdorf, Austria. A 34-year-old Chinese man contracted the virus in Venezuela and is making a speedy recovery, China says.

China’s first case of the Zika virus has been found in a 34-year-old man who recently travelled to Venezuela and is now making a speedy recovery, the government said Wednesday.

The man from the southern city of Ganzhou had been treated in Venezuela on Jan. 28 before returning home on Feb. 5 via Hong Kong and the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, the National Health and Family Planning Commission said in a statement.

The commission said he had been confirmed as having the Zika virus on Tuesday and was being treated at the Ganxian People’s Hospital. His temperature is now normal and a skin rash is receding, it said.

The commission said the chances of the virus spreading in China were “extremely low” due to cold winter temperatures and a lack of mosquito activity, the primary avenue by which Zika is transmitted.

Read More

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s